We love us some drop biscuits. I have mastered the absolute perfect recipe here! I make these with EVERY soup I make. Super easy, no kneading, no rising necessary. Just mix them up, drop them on a sheet, and bake.
The texture, besides the flavor, is the best. Crispy on the outside, but chewy and soft on the inside.
I have discovered some great variations of this recipe: Do half whole wheat, half regular flour. That’s tasty. I add a tablespoon of lemon juice to my milk, so it makes it buttery. Mmmmhmmm. A not-so-great variation was discovered when I accidentally added fresh spearmint instead of oregano. (They look alike!)
Looking for a great soup to dip these in? Well, here you are! It’s a delicious and meaty minestrone.
Hope you enjoy!
- 1 and 3/4 cup flour (or half whole wheat, half reg)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk (I add 1 Tbsp lemon juice and let it stand for 10 minutes. It creates faux buttermilk.)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- parchment paper
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400.
- 2. **optional** Measure a cup of milk in a liquid measuring cup. Add 1 Tbsp of lemon juice.
- 3. Mix together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. (flour, baking powder, salt, and italian seasoning)
- 4. Add the milk, melted butter and cheddar cheese. Mix until just moistened. It will be sticky and lumpy.
- 5. Line a cookie sheet or jelly roll with parchment papers, and drop the biscuits onto the pan.
- 6. You'll make 12.
- 7. Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.