so. Jerk spice. hot, complicated. Let’s make it easier!
you decided that you want to add a little flavor to your grilling!? This homemade Jerk sauce is a great answer because you can adjust the heat – or you can make one without the jalapeno for the family members or guests who prefer no hot spices.
a MAJOR bonus to making your own is that you can control the amount of salt and you can make your sauce cheap and free of preservatives and icky chemicals like Corn Syrup (which is often present in products labeled ‘all natural’. I will refrain from a diatribe against corn syrup for now, but let’s just say i am not a fan, and largely because it’s not natural. natural things happen in nature. not labs.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 habanero (WOO HOO hot) or Scotch bonnet (very hot), or jalapeno (more mild), seeded, finely chopped*
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* please use gloves when handling peppers – and be SURE to remove the seeds! they’re where the heat is stored. You could always use a canned jalapeno as a short cut…i love me some short cuts. but remember – many shortcuts may sacrifice flavor.
Combine all ingredients in a food processor, and process until a smooth puree forms.
you DID IT!
this can be made ahead and stored in the fridge – yay for prepping in advance!
You might also like